Total Pageviews

Thursday, 10 May 2012


(A real-life incident)

A Red Rose For Friendship
My nephew, a young man just out of the Engineering College, recently moved to Pune to join his first job. Passionate about playing soccer, he could not keep himself off soccer there too. 

Two weeks ago, while playing soccer in a nearby park at night, he chased the football to a corner and while retrieving it from behind the bushes, leaned over an electric pole. Shock of shocks... The pole had live current. He did not get a shock, he simply got stuck on the electric pole. The more he tried to pull himself, the more he got stuck to it.

There is nothing like a good friend.
Hats off to his friends who immediately noticed this and came to his rescue. They tried to pull him off but were thrown off by the strong electric current. But they did not give up. Without caring for their own lives, they put their mite together and managed to pull him out of a situation which was heading towards being fatal in a few seconds. A few burns on the hands, some body muscles in spasm but the power of friendship once again proved that there is nothing like good friends!

The local residents later shared that this pole has been having electric current for a long time and it was public knowledge. 
What are the civic authorities doing? Is anybody accountable? Nobody knows.
What I know is that there is nothing like a good friend! 

Wednesday, 9 May 2012


(A real-life incident)

A young man in his 40s, a dynamic officer in one of the largest PSUs had come to Delhi on posting just a few days ago and was staying in one of the company Guest Houses. To cut down on commuting time, he decided to shift to another Guest House which was closer to his office. After settling down in the new Guest House on the very first day of his arrival, he got into his casuals, told the caretaker to keep the dinner ready and went out for a walk.

The next day morning when the driver of his official car came, he kept calling him on his mobile only to realise a short while later that the phone, which was going on ringing, was lying in an empty room. The matter of his missing was reported to the police who informed that they had no information except that a dead body was brought to them. The body was that of this young officer. As he had no wallet on his person nor any mobile phone with him, nobody knew who to contact.

He had gone for a walk in a nearby park which happened to have an open man-hole and accidentally fell into it and hit his head while falling. As his hand was still sticking out, some passers-by noticed him and managed to pull him out of the manhole. He was still breathing and was rushed to a nearby hospital where he was declared “Brought Dead.”

The Police did not lodge a FIR as nobody had lodged a complaint. They even told the media that he was drunk and was talking on his mobile while walking. Later being told that his mobile was lying in the Guest House and that he was a strict teetotaller, they were quick to retrieve their statement. Quite Interesting! 

Nowhere in the entire episode, was any responsibility attributed to the civic authorities who had laid this death-trap for this man who was extinguished in the prime of his life due to the negligence and neglect of duty by someone.

A man has lost his life, a wife has lost her husband, children have lost their father and the parents have lost their son…an organisation has lost a capable officer.

Is anybody accountable?